Sunday, April 19, 2009

Spring has Sprung

Coming from Toronto, I find Waterloo to be a perfect sized city. Despite what some people claim about Waterloo, it's a fair sized city. I spent a workterm in Goderich, Ontario, and I did not take well to the lack of everything. I expect there to be sushi places, and yarn stores within the city, even if not in walking distance. So living somewhere with public transit, and wide selection in restaurants and stores is a lot more comfortable for me.

I do, however, also enjoy the fact that Waterloo is actually smaller than Toronto. It's possible to WALK out of the city, from campus, out to where there's cornfields on either side of the road. I've done it once, when I needed to go to market and wasn't able to bike. Actually there's also at least one cornfield in the city itself, which is another thing I like. There's also more wildlife. Not that I didn't have geese and ducks and groundhogs and rabbits around in Toronto, but I'm used to seeing them mostly in parks. Well... parks and in traps that the annoyed gardeners leave out. (Just as an aside for anyone from the country reading this: in the city you don't kill the critters that attack the garden, you trap them and take them to a park).

The other day, for example, I watched a duck fly across a major road, and then come in for a landing on the green strip next to the parking lot at a local business. To me, that's really cool. If I wanted to see ducks back home I had to pack up and go out to the park. Here, I walk to the uptown business park and they're just there on the way.

Even around campus there's some places that are more like parks. Around engineering it isn't bad - I've run halfway across in about two minues (we had a project due), but if you walk around other parts of campus - say over the creek by the church colleges, or around the Physical Activites Complex - you're pretty likely to scare a groundhog which is trying to tell if it's safe to come out. Or get stopped by a goose while the goslings cross the pathway.

All in all, it's quite a nice change. I'm going to be sticking around Waterloo for a while longer and get my Master's degree, but I'm going to miss this place when I leave.

5 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I am going into SYDE this fall at UW.
    Out of curiosity, what type of engineering do you do and what did your workterm in Goderich consist of? I live near Goderich, so I am curious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gwynne,

    I was working at Volvo when I was in Goderich. They hired 6 co-op students, and then let us pick what we wanted to do once we were there, and I ended up in R&D (none of the others where interestd in it). I spent a term reading standards and reports to see if we met the standards (it's great for a couple of months, but I can see why they didn't want to do it themselves), and helping the test engineers set up instrumentation for tests.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the business has lots of top reasons to come up with unique wrist watches. Go ahead and take last option instance as a cause. Omega wrist watches has come out with various designs enjoying this particular day at the actual silent celestial body and house warming than it. A beautiful enjoy that records your heart and soul involving place and explants will be the Fake Breitling Err Speed grasp Exclusive edition Celestial satellite Gents Observe, style 3577.50.One of my personal favorite designer watches ever will be the Bvlgari Diagono men's enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you in search of someone to complete your assignment? We welcome you to USA's most popular and affordable service provider for homework. It is basically in human's nature that when he sees he is in a bad situation, he struggles and if he cannot overcome the situation, he looks here and there for help. Actually, it is writing same with students from different institutes as they are stuffed with so many homework that they are not able to finish all of them and this puts them in a tough situation. So it comes out as no surprise that they are not able to write their homework before the deadline and gradually they get low scores. However, this is the point where VBS comes in and makes a path for you to travel and get high scores. Actually, we know that the USA is like a platform for all the foreign students to come and pursue their dreams. But studying here is not easy and students often get confused with their homework belonging to different subjects that is why we help them with our assignment writing USA services. We have a wide range of experts who are highly educated and they cover all the topics which you may have. From Marketing plans to Engineering all are covered by us so you don’t have to be worried about the type of your subject. live assignment help
    Physics Homework Help

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really your article is very helpful for me I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable.
    therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.
    Custom Packaging Boxes USA

    ReplyDelete